I never had success in editing properties files in Flex Builder. It
always screw up the Chinese characters. So now I always edit them in
Notepad, saving as UTF8, and it works.
What you can try is, copy and paste your text in Notepad. Delete your
"appStrings.properties" file. In Notepad, save your file as
"appStrings.properties" using UTF8 encoding. See if that works.

Benjamin Durin.