On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 4:10 PM, tosisodia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thanks Fidel,
>
> That clears a few things and raises a few more questions...
>
> Using a server for a standalone application looks a bit expensive. I
> wonder if it's possible to code whole business logic in Action Script.
> Is there any utility similar to hibernate for data persistence? Also
> is it possible for barcode readers to directly provide inputs in a
> FLEX application?

Hi Raj,

If you are going to use Adobe AIR, then you don't need to create the
java pojos. Use the database engine that comes with Adobe Flex 3/AIR.

> There is a POS application in adobe marketplace
> http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/exchange/index.cfm?event=extensionDetail&loc=en_us&extid=1562518

This application was created using Adobe AIR, and it uses a standalone
database. My POS is part of an ERP, and it uses Adobe Flex as opposed
to AIR.
You can also print from Flex, but it is a bit primitive and you have
to select a printer everytime you call the print function. I don't
really know how plex works, as I have not tried it. I also don't have
much experience with Adobe AIR. I have worked on a document management
system, but it did not involve any interfaces with hardware.

My suggestion would be to contact the author of plex and ask him how
he has done it. But, if what you want is a standalone POS then skip
the Java part and develop everything using Adobe AIR.

Fidel.