From: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of an0one
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2008 11:18 AM
To: flexcoders@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [flexcoders] How to compose a super tree item renderer using
TreeItemRenderer and others

Hi,
I want a custom tree item renderer that consists of a basic
TreeItemRenderer(to reuse its
tree node icons) and several other standard controls(they are also
IListItemRenderer
implementors). Let's call it ComboTreeItemRenderer, and to simplify the
matters, assume
it is composed of a TreeItemRenderer and a Label.

This is my first try:
<mx:Tree width="100%" height="100%"
id="tagTree"
dataProvider="{myTags}"
change="handleTagSelection(event);">
<mx:itemRenderer>
<mx:Component>
<mx:HBox>
<mx:TreeItemRenderer>
</mx:TreeItemRenderer>
<mx:Label text="[EMAIL PROTECTED]">
</mx:Label>
</mx:HBox>
</mx:Component>
</mx:itemRenderer>
</mx:Tree>

And the first error I met:
"Could not resolve <mx:TreeItemRenderer> to a component implementation."

I don't believe TreeItemRenderer can not be used in mxml coding, so I
guess I was just not
coding in the right way. But what's the right way then?

However, that's not really what I was stumped by, since I found that I
could write a custom
component(named MyTreeItemRenderer) which extends
TreeItemRenderer(nothing to
override, just to work around the "could no resolve" error), and it
could be resolved of
course. So here is my second try:
<mx:Tree width="100%" height="100%"
id="tagTree"
dataProvider="{myTags}"
change="handleTagSelection(event);">
<mx:itemRenderer>
<mx:Component>
<mx:HBox>
<mx:MyTreeItemRenderer>
</mx:MyTreeItemRenderer>
<mx:Label text="[EMAIL PROTECTED]">
</mx:Label>
</mx:HBox>
</mx:Component>
</mx:itemRenderer>
</mx:Tree>

Now comes the really difficulties: I know I must assign values to some
properties of
MyTreeItemRenderer using information carried by data and listData, but
what properties
to assign value to? And what makes me even crazier is that I found
neither listData and
data was set(observed by overriding set listData and set data functions
and find they were
never called).

Looking forward to seeing helpful hints. Thanks in advance.