Just some random thoughts.

It seems most of the posts on the list are general help questions.

Alex and the other guys have been a great help when it comes to asking
questions where the answers weren't bleedingly obvious to me in the
documentation.

Sometimes I have more abstract questions that I ask myself in terms of
design and architecture that I do not feel would be appropriate to ask
on this list.
It seems that because of the volume of questions most of the answers
are short and to the point.
Sometimes I would be looking for feedback and to "build" on ideas or
concepts and I get the feeling a more advanced list would be appropriate.

I've done a lot of work that I simply haven't published (mostly
because i don't own the IP), but i would love a forum to discuss some
of these new ideas I have.

If new lists gets the backing from adobe, farata, UM and others I
think this could encourage a new wave in community involvement.

regards,

Bjorn

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Doug McCune" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I plan on gathering a complete archive of the list over the next week
> and doing some analysis. I'll post the full dataset once I get it
> compiled to let others play with it too. I'm working on a variety of
> ways to get a compiled list of all messages, but I think between
> either scraping the mail archive site and scraping the yahoo group
> site I should have it figured out in another week.
>
> Then of course I'll build some flex apps to crunch some of the data :)
>
> Doug
>
> On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 6:20 PM, Matt Chotin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > As far as stats, we've had about 100 people join in the last week.
I don't
> > know how many folks unsubscribed, that seems to be a little harder
to track
> > easily and I don't have time to read through all the logs (if
someone would
> > like to write some scripts to go through the logs and build up
these kinds
> > of stats let me know and I'll get you access). Also hard to know
how many of
> > the folks who joined are spammers, but I don't think that many :-)
> >
> > This is a tough position for me to comment on because we want the
community
> > to thrive and have a life of its own that isn't controlled by
Adobe. That
> > said, we clearly want to see it succeed and will involve ourselves as
> > necessary to try to make that happen.
> >
> > Based on the comments I'm seeing in this thread I don't see the
big clamor
> > to divide the list. I see folks who have figured out workflows
that work for
> > them, and suggestions for how to make things more manageable. That
said, the
> > issue that Anatole raises is whether we are preventing new users from
> > getting help, or preventing advanced users from participating.
Most of those
> [...]
> > could work on trying to gather that data and make a decision
after. Another
> > piece of data we could use is an analysis of the kinds of posts
that have
> > happened recently, perhaps compared to posts from a year ago, and
see if the
> > skill level of posters is increasing, how many threads are going un
> > answered, semi-subjective view of signal vs. noise. This would help us
> > understand if there is meaning behind the low rate of increase in
total
> > number of members, as well as the generally flat nature of posts
per month.

> > Does doing this kind of analysis interest anyone? Are the folks
who advocate
> > separating the list interested in waiting for this kind of
analysis? For me,
> > it seems kind of critical to have real data before making this kind of
> > decision, as we're going with hunches as to what's really
happening here.
> > I'd have a hard time getting behind a real split when we don't
know if doing
> > so would actually improve things.
> >
> > Matt
> >
> > On 6/17/08 3:15 PM, "Anatole Tartakovsky" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Doug,
> > As far as I know, I am the only one in the NY office who did not
unsubscribe
> > from the group. Looks at the stats ( provided by Tim) or just go
to the
> > group page. Also, the number of users if I remember it correctly
has been in
> > 9K for at least 6 month - meaning you have the same number of
people in and
> > OUT - obviously you need to ask Matt if he has more detailed stats on
> > unsubscribes count.
> > Regards,
> > Anatole
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 5:35 PM, Doug McCune <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Actually, this is worth going back to, because your initial email
said that
> > the group was "stagnant" and has plateaued with the number of new
users and
> > questions. Except your reason for bringing it up is that the
traffic has
> > gotten too much for you to read every message. So clearly the level of
> > traffic isn't stagnant. Unless what you're saying is that about 6
months ago
> > the traffic reached a critical level where you couldn't deal with the
> > traffic but then it stopped growing.
> >
> > So I guess I'm saying I question the claim that this list is
"stagnant".
> > Almost 10,000 members and an average of 100 messages a day. Are
you saying
> > that these stats have been the same for the past 6 months? And
even if that
> > is true (although I'd like to see numbers before I accept that)
then I don't
> > even necessarily think that this indicates that there's a problem.
There's a
> [...]
voiced). And
> > largely I think that the number of people answering questions has
remained
> > high and the response times are still good. I have heard that the
traffic
> > level has stopped people from reading the questions that others ask (I
> > certainly skim and sometimes skip entire days). I'd argue that a
combination
> > of self-moderated subject tagging, as well as more aggressive pointing
> > repeat questions to cached answered (and then tagging the entire
thread as a
> > repeat) will largely solve this problem.
> >
> > So do you have numbers that indicate the stagnation you are
worried about?

> > Doug
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 1:28 PM, Anatole Tartakovsky
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Matt,
> > Let us review the goal - in the original post I explained that
single group
> > causes stagnation. If you agree with the numbers and reasoning
behind it,
> > let us look at the proposition in that light. IMHO, the mentioned
measures
> > while staying within the same single group would probably extend
the number
> > of users by 20-30% byhoping to reduce number of posted messages by
the same
> > percentage - but it is hardly the goal we are trying to achieve here.
> >
> > Realistically Adobe should be looking for place public pace to
exchange
> > ideas and networking as well as getting trivial help. The product and
> > community are just too big for one group. Let us split it up and
let each
> > subgroup speak their own language. I would gladly moderate standalone
> > enterprise/j2ee/best practices track. But looking few times a day
@ the
> > whole stream to fish out what might be related to the topic and
having some
> > messages falling through the cracks might be not the recommended "best
> > practices" solution.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Anatole
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 17, 2008 at 1:48 PM, Matt Chotin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hey folks, let's calm down a little here, K?
> >
> > Alright, based on what I've been seeing people say, here's my
suggestion.

> > 1) Let's get an FAQ going that can be edited by moderators or
members of the
> > community. This will be about common problems that folks run into. One
> > suggestion of course from me would be that we use the Cookbook for
"how-to"
> > type questions. But for things that don't seem like they're cookbook
> > appropriate, we can put them in the FAQ. I like the idea of doing
it in
> > Buzzword, though Buzzword docs won't come up in Google. Long-term
I think
> > the right place might be in whatever we set up in the Adobe Developer
> > Center. But for now how about we just allocate a page off of the
opensource
> > wiki. We can pick some moderators who can edit the page and I will
get them
> > added so they can take care of it. We can also add the link to the
FAQ to