Thanks for the response!  I'm sure I sound like a raving lunatic by
now, but I'm halfway through wasting a second day of coding trying to
figure this out...

OK good call on the semicolons, I could have sworn it was throwing
errors on missing semicolons before I was having these issues though.

OK i just figured out some weirdness, I removed the '>' from the end
of my ADG declaration (mxml), and it won't throw an error in source
mode, but as soon as I switched to design it knew there was a problem
and on what line it was on.  Weirdness...

Here's one I would think should cause an error:
var x:int = 'a string';

No go though...