I have a box  in one state,  I remove the  box and then add another box.
I do this so when the box is complete, I have something to trigger
getting data from an xml file. (That doesn't seem right, is there a
better way to trigger a function on entering a State ? )

I'm testing the data in 2 ways, 1 works and the other doesn't.
the  HTTPservice:
<mx:HTTPService id="bookData" url="../media/books.xml"
resultFormat="e4x" result="xmlObj = XML(bookData.lastResult)" />

When I send the service:
 bookData.send();
the data is sent  to this textArea
<mx:TextArea text="{xmlObj.toString()}"/>

So far so good, however, if I put this other test immediately after the
service call, I'm getting the dreaded NULL reference error.

        trace(xmlObj.stock.(@id == "1").name);
Does this mean I need to check for load completion, like an event
listener on an UrlLoader ?  (if so, How? )
The documentation seems to indicate it shouldn't be neccesary, so I'm
not even sure that's the problem
What's wrong ?

The xml is below
<books>
<stock id="1">
<name>The Picasso Code</name>
<author>Dan Blue</author>
<category>Fiction</category>
<description>Cubist paintings reveal a secret society
of people who really look like that</description>
</stock>
</books>