Actually that sounds pretty good, and I would prefer an open source
solution as well.

Regarding the strict setup requirements: using a ClearBI trial I
found it extremely difficult adapting a copy of our already existing
Flex 2 application's environment to meet the needed requirements.
Almost everything other than the version of the Flex SDK we were
using had to change, and a lack of internet connectivity made
installing it even more difficult, especially when I discovered that
the downloadable Eclipse "local site install zip" for the tool was
outdated compared to the "remote site install" version.

But I will definitely be looking into this again after the 19th.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Anatole Tartakovsky"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> [...]
> be showing the final release on 8/19 in NYC (
> http://www.eventbrite.com/event/126384018) among other reporting
goodies
> like generating complete reporting PDF on the client side ( fully
dynamic ).

>  There were editions of clearBI that were under $1,000 or even
free -
> producing minuscule report SWFs (<20K) with powerful runtime short
of just
> end-user editing. Even 1000$ versions were selling slow - with
> people actually saying they would consider only free, open source
ones with
> 24/7 support.
>
> The "restrictive setup" (identical to what Flex 3 now ships for J2EE
> integration / DataServices) are "J2EE best practices" one and was
> targeting Enterprise market/reducing support calls from unsupported
> PHP community,
>
> However, after 3 years working in Flex BI area and seeing all kind
of
> requirements/setups I am sceptical about "out of the box"
simplicity or
> dozen of unpaid product related calls a day. If you estimate
realistic
> number of people buying $1000 version at 100-200 people per year
there is no
> way you can recover even support cost. If on contrary you consider
> integration effort in 15K+ it makes more sense as there is money
for setup,
> some training and integration - while in fact you still get product
for
> free. You can easily handle quite a few projects with guaranteed
results.

> We are making all the tooling and runtimes, just do not expect it
to be $299
> or even $999 unless enterprises will start paying for software and
not the
> services and it becomes economically viable.
>
> Sincerely,
> Anatole Tartakovsky
> Farata Systems
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 2:29 PM, ansury2001 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >   Well, I know we'd be willing to purchase a reporting tool for a
cost
> > on par with the cost of Flex Builder. And it wouldn't need to be
> > a "catch all, generate all" sophisticated solution like ClearBI.
> >
> > I'd be happy with just an SWC reporting library. Just add some
> > component(s) from the SWC, setup some configuration and
customization
> > options somewhere, and point it to a RemoteObject--done! Eclipse
> > plugins and integration with other tools become an issue when you
> > don't need to use those tools, or (for example) you're using
> > FlexBuilder standalone instead of the Eclipse plugin version.
> >
> > That's one good thing about FlexReport - it's just an SWC library-
-so
> > it's easily plugged into any application, both new or old.

40yahoogroups.com>, "Anatole
> > Tartakovsky"
> > <anatole.tartakovsky@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Report Wirter is a delicate topic. We wrote reporting solution
in
> > 2006 -
> > > complete stack from database to end-user UI designer to the
> > optimized client
> > > to the PDF. However, the current mind set in the enterprises -
if
> > it is
> > > third party product it has to be open source and free. So
instead
> > of pushing
> > > it as a product, we are packaging it as a service.
> > > After all, building low cost solution for mass market requires
mass
> > market
> > > and enterprises with flex reporting are not mass market yet.
> > > I believe most of reporting solutions I have seen are just tip
of
> > the
> > > iceberg, with services beneath to recover develpoment costs.
> > >
> > > Sincerely,
> > > Anatole Tartakovsky
> > > Farata Systems

> > ready for an