There's no easy way to get DataService type of functionality in Java
but you can certainly do Flash remoting (flash.net.NetConnection) type
of functionality in Java using BlazeDS's AMFConnection. It's a new
mini-feature that is currently being tested but it's in BlazeDS source
tree.

So, you can expose your Assembler as a remoting destination in
BlazeDS/LCDS and then you can use AMFConnection in your Java code to
make remoting calls to that destination. You'll probably need to have
a timer of some sort to do polling so the client can receive updates
in certain time intervals.

-Mete

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Shailesh Mangal"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> yeah, I spend some time looking at it, its certainly not easy. Any
other alternatives? I need
> to connect to assembler and get the data pushes to the  java client
and execute some stuff
> on the desktop. AIR would have been perfect if it was as powerful as
Java on desktop.