Josh,
Thanks for the reply - the mystery is how to access the server
response body content for a faultEvent.  My proxy server does a great
job of forwarding requests and responses but my client still can not
access the response xml body content for an 'error' (status 500)
server response.

I'm guessing that my proxy will somehow transform 'error' responses by
wrapping them in a 'good' response.. or maybe not.

Any insight on the mechanics?
Thanks.