HEy thanks that worked, I was using Addchild because of this post
http://www.returnundefined.com/2008/03/flexmdi-sans-mxml-2

thanks it worked.

--- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "ben.clinkinbeard"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Faisal,
>
> I think the problem is in the way you are adding the window. Since you
> are just using addChild(), the window is never assigned a
> windowManager and I think that is what is null. If you say
> mdic.windowManager.add( window ), it will addChild() for you and also
> set the windowManager property correctly. Try that and I think you
> will be all set.
>
> That said, I think its completely reasonable to expect things to work
> the way you had them coded. I am going to look at overriding
> addChild() in MDICanvas to support that workflow so look for that in a
> future release.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben
>

> --- In flexcoders@yahoogroups.com, "Faisal Abid" <flex_abid@> wrote:
> >
> > I have an application where the FlexMDI windows are being created
> > dynamicly via actionscript however the MDICanvas is being created on
> > inital application creation. When i make the state go to another state
> > other then the default and try to add an mdiwindow, it adds fine
> > however when you click on it it gives errors about titlebar being
> > pressed and bringtofrontproxy . here is the basic code.
> >
> > btw im using the latest flexlib build (downloaded it today) , i tried
> > this with the old flexmdi build also , same problem.
> >
> > // on second state call create widgetfunction
> > private function createWidgets():void{
> >     this.mdic.effects = new MDIVistaEffects
> >          var widgetWindow:MDIWindow = new MDIWindow();
> >          widgetWindow.title = "Your Live Widgets";
> >     widgetWindow.width = 400;
> >     widgetWindow.height = 400;
> >     this.mdic.addChild(widgetWindow);
> >                     }
> >
> > when i do that the window creates, but when i click on the window i
> > get this error
> >
> > TypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null
> > object reference.
> >     at

flexmdi.containers::MDIWindow/onTitleBarPress()[/_projects/flexmdi/src/flexmdi/containers/MDIWindow.as:1406]

> > and then this error right after
> >
> > ypeError: Error #1009: Cannot access a property or method of a null
> > object reference.
> >     at

flexmdi.containers::MDIWindow/bringToFrontProxy()[/_projects/flexmdi/src/flexmdi/containers/MDIWindow.as:1316]