Mic,

I suggest if you really want this functionality file a change request in
JIRA. Probably just needs to change the MXML compiler so it adds to
childDescriptors rather than replacing it. But that's just a guess since
I've never tried to do what you're suggesting and haven't poked around into
that part of the compiled actionscript.

-Josh