DAMN!!! I was sitting here chewing on a big chunk of it! :-0

>>> KD5NWA <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 05/02/06 10:26AM >>>
Be careful, a metal compound and the metal itself behave totally
different. Metallic Bismuth will cause kidney damage among many other
issues. It is not a safe metal to ingest.

At 10:11 AM 5/2/2006, Bill Guyger wrote:
> [...]
> > fact, many manufacturers have been offering pure tin plated components as a
> > standard commercial (and in some cases high reliability) product for years
> > while others are exploring pure tin alternatives for the very first time.
> > Many electronics manufacturers have never heard of the phenomenon of tin
> > whiskers and therefore, may not consider the risks of tin whisker growth
> > during the validation of new plating systems.
> >
> > Continuing reports of tin whisker-induced failures coupled with the lack of
> > an industry accepted understanding of tin whisker growth factors
> and/or test
> > methods to identify whisker-prone products has made a blanket acceptance of
> > pure tin plating a risky proposition for high reliability systems.  Still,
> > organizations such as NASA and the DoD may soon be faced with few options
> > other than pure tin plating since the desires of the commercial market for
> > environmentally friendly components carry far more weight than the
> > infinitesimally small market share of the high reliability user.
> > "
> >
> > There is a wealth of information on the tin whiskers problem at
> the NASA URL
> > I listed. I won't repeat it here, but I would suggest that those,
> (I suggest
> > anyone who buys consumer electronics should be), who are
> interested read the
> > information at the URL and resources suggested.
> >
> > To simply say it has existed, does not resolve the believed increase of tin
> > whiskers due to the use tin plated only components and the use of no-lead
> > solder.
> >
> > Another posting by Ahti Aintila to the reflected has suggested an
> > alternative, but if the components are tin plated only, then the formation
> > of tin whiskers will occur. The NASA WEB site does not propose a sure fire
> > solution and in fact, exceptions are made for mission critical systems to
> > meet RoHS by the EU.
> >
> > Obviously, the removal of lead is a good thing, but the introduction of a
> > new problem without a known solution is short sighted.
> >
> > I discussed RoHS with a US distributor representative expressing
> my concerns
> > of product reliability. His response was products are obsolete in a few
> > years anyhow. My response is I really wouldn't like to replace a
> $3000 piece
> > of consumer electronics equipment in 2 years or less.
> >
> > I have discussed this with manufacturers also. They are concerned with the
> > shelve life of products, as tin whiskers are a result of time, not
> > environment. In fact, one has mentioned changing his warrantee to reflect
> > time from factory shipment.
> >
> > Although goods sold in the US do not currently require no-lead components,
> > the EU RoHS requirements are rippling into the distribution chains.
> >
> > Regardless, tin whiskers appear to be a real problem that is being sweep
> > under the rug in the rush to no-lead solutions.

Cecil Bayona
KD5NWA
www.qrpradio.com

I fail to see why doing the same thing over and over and getting the
same results every time is insanity: I've almost proved it isn't;
only a few more tests now and I'm sure results will differ this time ...