Wally and all,

Since receiving the SDR-1000 in July 2003 I am fighting the RFI, spurious,
noise and common mode issues and no final and universal solution yet! So far
I try to manage with isolating transformers in I/Q lines (input and output),
ferrite beads in parallel cable as well as the USB to Parallel cable,
strictly a single point grounding system (star configuration) and on top of
all I have a 7.5 kVA UPS system for powering my office/lab/hamshack. IMHO,
these problems are related to the fact that no theoretically "clean" star
groundings can be created and ground loops eliminated, mainly due to the
common practice of connecting together the "Protective Earth" (PE) and
"Signal Earth" already inside the electric/electronic appliances, especially
the PCs.

PLEASE, NOTE! The problems are not alone with the SDR-1000 only. My Yaesu
and Icom equipmet suffer these problems, too, as soon as I connect the PC to
them. Whatever systems I have had, a careful routing of cables,
experimentation with the grounding points, common mode and differential mode
filtering, signal line balancing and shielding were needed.

When it comes to the RFI, keep all radiating wires and cables as far away
from the hamshack as practical. A lot of "wonder" antennas may have
essential part of radiation coming from the feedline - Carolina Windom
included. Sorry Wally, I have no ready made solution for you.

Believe me, all these requires good understanding of the theory, but that is
not enough. Finding the optimal wiring in our wireless hobby is art that
beautifies the science. Who would make the optical fiber interface for our
SDR-1000 so that we don't need to be artists and scientists at the same
time?

73,
Ahti OH2RZ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wallace Watson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>