Gary Schmidt W5ZL wrote:

Heck, guys. I don't think we have to be afraid of going into a contest
without an absolute goal of winning or placing high. If I took that approach
- setting unrealistic goals for my modest shack - with most contests I'd be
perennially disappointed. (I feel differently when I'm a guest op at
somebody's super station).

I'm personally drawn to either the contest or DXpedition concept Eric
brought up earlier because either would create large numbers of target QSOs
in a short span of time. The nice thing about a contest is that there are
always PLENTY of folks to talk to, and, I believe it is a fertile
environment in which to show off the capabilities of the SDR - weak signals
right next to strong ones, etc.

I guess the closest analogy I can come up with is golf. I know I will never
be good enough to play in the PGA, but I hit just enough (surprisingly good)
shots in 18 holes to more than compensate for the frustratingly BAD shots I
mostly hit and at the end of the day I've had a load of fun and can't wait
to go out again.

Gary W5ZL

Well, that's fine, then. I think we're roughly agreed that the big goal would be to demonstrate what the SDR can do under extreme conditions. And, just maybe, to be on the receiving end of a lot of QSOs, too.

If we don't care quite so much about the score, that might make things a little easier. It widens our choices a bit. And, maybe lightens the wallet, too. For instance, in CQ WW, going to what is counted as South America is a big deal on the scoring. If our goal was QSOs instead of score, we might get by both cheaper and easier as we could do a NA island and, perhaps a bit more likely, a rent-a-shack (though according to the contest video, we'd still end up putting up the antennas for many of those -- hurricanes have something to do with it, apparently).

If we want to do the rent-a-shack route, and also CQ WW, we probably are at or nearly out of time. I imagine some of those are the first to go. A straight-up DXpedition might be easier to schedule, perhaps. It would also enable us to pick some goals that are more on the edge (like 30 meters, 80 meters, PSK as focal points). It would be nice to show the SDR could shine not just in traditional stuff like CW, but also in newer or different things not always attempted.

But, the IOTA idea remains a good one, too. That was Frank's wasn't it? Who said there only had to be one of thes things?

Still, a contest might be something the community could use to focus its energy. I'll see if I can look up a few of the locals I know that have done some Carribean DXpeditioning.

Here's a couple of rent-a-shacks I dug up. Strictly for DXpeditioning. I happen to know about these because I QSLed someone involved with it.

The bottom line here:

http://www.qth.com/dxshack/FG/FGBOOK.HTM

. . .for a nice set of towers and minimal accommodations. We'd have to rent accommodations elsewhere, probably. Could go as F6/WO0Z/P with just my license in the pocket.

Then there's this one:

http://www.qth.com/dxshack/J6/J6book.htm

. . .with not quite as extensive an antenna system, but very nice compared to what I have now.

More exotically:

http://www.qth.com/dxshack/3W/3WBOOK2.HTM

. . .with the airfare for US hams probably dwarfing whatever would be saved in the room rate. But, still, it's zone 26 (as is the one in Cambodia, link not given).

I'm told airfare to that part of the world can be inexpensive. But, it would be pretty exotic for the first DXpedition, I would think.

You can cast about the "dxshack" site for more: http://www.qth.com/dxshack/index.htm

Anyway, that's some idea about prices. Not sure if we can accommodate 15 operators in these setups. Looks to me more like two or three is practical in these shacks. For some, not clear about other accommodations -- others (Government House, Saigon) seems pretty straightforward.

The trick for the rent-a-shacks is if we want to do something besides 40/20/15/10.

Larry  WO0Z