I too would like to know how to get started with C#.

John Denson, AI6A
----- Original Message ----- From: "Larry Loen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz>
Sent: Wednesday, June 15, 2005 8:33 PM
Subject: [Flexradio] Software Development Kit

So, now that I'm probably going to slow down a bit, operationally, it's time for me to turn my attention to the software a bit.

I have some experiements I'd like to think about, at least.

Is there a nice, succint roadmap as to how to go about this? I don't have a serious C# development kit. I probably need MS' because I'd likely be revising and even redesigning the forms to get the behavior I want. I do have the Mono project on Linux, but my Linux is 2.4 based and difficult to upgrade.

What do I need to get started and how much does it cost? Assuming it is enough just to buy the Visual C# .Net kit, is buying the latest Visual C++ a good idea, or would my good ol' version 5 kit (or, Borland's C++ Builder) do well enough?

Also, do we have a good roadmap for putting all the pieces together? I could imagine launching the console, the virtual COM and then writing from scratch skins to operate it. Do we have a virtual sound card yet?

Also, I seem to have misplaced the source for the 1.3.5 (KD5TFD WIP Experimental w/ N8VB HRD Fix 20050605) version I've been using. Where is that? I think I'd like to start any experiments from the source code version. I know it's a bit "out there" but it has been very stable for and I might even be able to modify some of the existing controls (or help me see how to add new ones). I haven't tried 1.3.8 or the stuff in-between. The notes flying back and forth here are a bit on the scary side ("protect your amplifier", whatever that means) and so I haven't looked too deeply past 1.3.5, as patched, since it was working so well.

Should I be using 1.3.8?  Haven't even dared download it.

Larry, WO0Z