Eric wrote:
The operating manual has been updated to be current with the PowerSDR
v1.4.0 release. We welcome any comments, suggestions, feedback, or just
plain criticism in order to improve this document. This is still a work
in progress with several blanks to be filled in the near future.
Thanks to all who have helped make this manual, radio, and company what
it is today.
Link to Manual: http://www.flex-radio.com/SDR-1000_Operating_Manual.pdf
Eric Wachsmann
FlexRadio Systems
I really like the new version of the manual.
It's becoming quite polished.
Here's some observations:
------------------------------------------------
Page 62: perhaps the steps could be separated with
bullets or enumerated to make them stand out:
When turning on the radio it is always best practice to
1. power up the PC first, then
2. apply 12VDC power to the radio so that the relays
will be in a known state when
3. starting the software.
When powering down the radio, it is best practice to
1. first turn off the software power and then to
2. use the switch on the SDR-1000 enclosure before
3. removing 12VDC from your power source.
The software power button may be cycled off and on
at any time to reset the radio to a known state.
-------------------------------------------------
Page 76: Perhaps the "X 3" could be set apart from
the "Start" so that it doesn't look like "Start X 3"; or
maybe make it parenthetical "Start (three buttons)".
Start x 3: The start buttons begin the calibration
routines that correspond to the text to the left
of the buttons (Frequency, Level, and Image Null).
---------------------------------------------------
Page 95: Spelling "aymetric"
This only works in voice modes and should be done
only in SSB because of the aymmetric nature of
the SSB signal.
---------------------------------------------------
Page 123: The link to msu.edu is forbidden to me
---------------------------------------------------
I love the sections on VCom and Ham Radio Deluxe!
---------------------------------------------------
Page 150: Spelling "string"
If this is turned on and you have a microphone that
is putting out a string signal, then you could be
overloading the sound card.
----------------------------------------------------
Page 42, maybe:
Perhaps we could include a sentence telling the user to
click on the standby button to turn the receiver on?
The first time I went through the set up, I was very
disappointed that I could not receive any signals.
I kept checking my connections and settings with no success.
I finally gave up and went to click on "standby" to
shut it down and the receiver came to life.
This button is not intuitive for me.
If I click on the 160 band button, it takes me to 160 meters.
If I click on the LSB mode button, it puts me into Lower Side Band.
But if I click on the button labeled standby,
it takes it out of standby.
(It really is a standby/on button combined with a
standby/receive/transmit indicator.)
-------------------------------------------------
The page numbers at the bottom of the page are
difficult for me to read. The bold is so heavy as
to blur the digits on these old, tired eyes.
Also, when I print the manual pages in draft mode,
the page numbers are very difficult to read.
Could we possibly try them un-bolded?
------------------------------------------------
Great job on the manual. This version seems to
answer almost all of the questions. I like the
writing style.
73,
Mike AA8K