Oh, please don't change the button Eric.
That would just cause confusion with the
installed base.  I was just saying that
as a fresh user, I thought the radio wasn't
working.  A note in the manual might save
a new owner confusion.  It works fine once
you understand that it's an un-button.
Leave that design for a "skin".  The GUI
serves well.  We've got more important
things to do.

If I were making a skin for it, I would
split the button from the indication, as it's
a two-state button and a tri-state indicator.
I would probably make a separate "transmit"
indicator that wouldn't just depend on color
to show the difference between transmit and
receive.

Mike   AA8K


Eric wrote:
Mike,

Great comments.  I have made the corrections you mentioned.

=========quote==============
Perhaps we could include a sentence telling the user to
click on the standby button to turn the receiver on?

The first time I went through the set up, I was very
disappointed that I could not receive any signals.
I kept checking my connections and settings with no success.
I finally gave up and went to click on "standby" to
shut it down and the receiver came to life.

This button is not intuitive for me.
If I click on the 160 band button, it takes me to 160 meters.
If I click on the LSB mode button, it puts me into Lower Side Band.
But if I click on the button labeled standby,
it takes it out of standby.
(It really is a standby/on button combined with a
standby/receive/transmit indicator.)
==========end quote==============

We changed this from reading "Power" to "Stand By" and "On" due to the
legalities involved.  Since we don't really cut the 13.8V to the radio,
power wasn't really a good term to describe the button.  I'm open to
discussion on how to redo the button.
This is a timeless GUI issue:  Do you want the button to read the
_current_ mode or do you want it to read the _future_ mode (the mode
that will happen when you push the button).
You are clearly a future style (not sure that I am on either side at
this point).  I'd like to hear from others who have opinions on this.


Eric Wachsmann
FlexRadio Systems




Reply via email to