-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Larry Loen
Sent: Friday, July 29, 2005 10:46 PM
To: FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: [Flexradio] Power fluxuations on 1.4.3 RTTY modes

It took me a while, but I've tracked something down.

When I run any RTTY mode under 1.4.3, power output levels fluxuate in a
way they don't in 1.4.1.

When I set the power level in 1.4.1, and transmit, the wattage is what
it has been since I started doing RTTY (about a month or two back is all).

If I set PWR where I get 25 watts on a given band, that's where it
transmits.

On 1.4.3, however, power level fluxuates, especially (it superficially
appears) when space characters are transmitted.  Or, maybe it's not
space characters.  But, the output can drop to near zero.  I've had
several cases where it kind of hangs out a half power or two thirds.
The wattmeter on my MFJ, always reliable in the past, shows the
fluxuation as does the SDR power output indications.

There is, by contrast, little or no fluxuation on 1.4.1.

Now, I am making contacts, but the low power levels have probably cost
me a few.  The obvious workaround is to use 1.4.1 for RTTY.

But, in terms of what was changed recently, could it be a cause?  The
obvious stuff (compressor and compandor) are "off" and set to 0 dB gain
in any event.

Independent of this, I'm beginning to wonder if we need a new
"pseudo-mode" which would be "digital SSB".  It would go to upper side
band, but it would set the power output to a lower level and make the
other needed adjustments (like forcing the compandor and compactor to
off) that are starting to become necessary.  Making that work with 3rd
party software via CAT could be a bit of a challenge, though, since one
presumes that we want the regular SSB to still respond and at least so
far, we haven't put in our own RTTY modes into the base console.

Larry  WO0Z