At 12:07 PM 8/1/2005, Robert McGwier wrote:
Please visit this page

http://www.audioscience.com/internet/products/sound_cards/soundcards.htm

to see that none have more than 4 analog.

Bob

4 stereo inputs for some, which would be the 8 channels.. ASI6244 or ASI6044 or ASI5042

No idea how much they cost, though.

Frank Brickle wrote:

Jim --

The AudioScience <http://www.audioscience.com> interfaces (high-quality stuff aimed at broadcast apps) have Linux drivers. All of their gadgets have at least 4 playback streams; a number of them have 8 simultaneous input paths as well. If your computer is up to it I believe you can use them with Ardour (lots of memory and fast disk).

For the multichannel recording problem, an ADAT or any of the standalone DAW boxes would do what you want, but getting the data onto your Linux box could be an issue. The most direct solution might be to use one of the Yamaha or Roland multichannel FireWire/USB2 dongles and simply grab up the data and downsample yourself.

In some ways, given the costs associated with any of these lashups, it sounds like you might almost be better off with a USRP.

73
Frank
AB2KT

Jim Lux wrote:

I'm looking for (inexpensive) multichannel audio interfaces that can handle 6 or 8 simultaneous signals, preferably with synchronous clocking. The Delta 44 does 4 channels, I think. Is there something that does 8?

I've got 4 SDR1000s in an array, and I want to capture all I/Q's together for testing and offline algorithm development. No real time processing needed yet, just dump to a file. However, if someone has a way to capture all the audio on one machine, then feed the streams out to separate PCs for individual processing, that would be good too.

And, for another application, I'm looking for a self contained 4-8 channel audio recorder that can acquire several minutes (5-10) of audio, then be able to dump it to a PC via USB. This one can be fairly low fi (8 kHz is probably ok), but does neet to have the channels time registered.

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Radio Frequency Subsystems Group
Flight Communications Systems Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive
Pasadena CA 91109
tel: (818)354-2075