Don

There are some real high dollar sound cards that are really and truly balanced,
but they cost as much as the SDR-1K. We use them extensively at work since all
our spots (commercials) all the drops (cute sound effects the jocks and talk
hosts play) and most of the music we play are on hard drive.

The board that the jocks operate is just a work surface for another computer,
and they are surrounded by touch screens to control the afore mentioned
servers. Unless you've got a lot of spare cash the Delta 44 will do "jest
fine". It really is a good sound card from the software and computer hardware
point of view, and the Flex Radio guys scored big time by making the decision
to standardize on it. There's a whole lot of between the ear processor time
being expended by those guys. Thanks Folks!!!

What Delta is doing is fairly common of low end "professional gear". Behringer
does the same thing on their low dollar mixers as does Soundcraft, Yamaha, and
others. Mackie uses real balanced line ins and outs on their mixers with the
exception of the stereo line inputs, and  the aux. ins and outs which use the
pseudo balancing like you're seeing on the Delta breakout box.

I posted a PDF of just what you're contemplating a couple of months ago. I did
it to clean up some of the cable kludge behind the computer, and to eliminate
all the ground loops that I can. We won't be able to get rid of all of them
because of the data cable and the unbalanced ins and outs on the radio, but
it's a start.  I did get some feedback from one list member who has used my
drawing with success. He noted that it eliminated (or at least reduced
drastically) most of his ground loop induced noise and allowed him to ground
his computer which he had to ground lift because of noise issues.

73's

Bill AD5OL

>>> "Don Newberry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 08/04/05 10:25PM >>>
Hello all,  I was considering using a DB 15 connector, appropriate plugs and
shielded cable to interface between the SDR and the Delta 44, bypassing the
breakout box altogether.  I thought this would make a little cleaner setup here
(not that this has mattered much before, hi).  I traced out the wiring inside
the box to find out the pinouts for the various ins and outs, and will list
them below.

Don, wd4egf