There has been a lot of typing going on while I was asleep. Of course,
I should have known better, but it wasn't my intention to start (or
incite) this GPL discussion. Please let me repeat myself:

> OK, I'm not a big fan of GPL, but that's not the point.

It really isn't. The "GPL problem" doesn't have to be a problem at
all. We just need a truly open, modular design instead of the
monolithic PowerSDR that we're now using:

SDR hardware control, audio I/O, DSP core, a wide selection of GUI
modules, advanced DSP functions, support for various digital modes,
remote operation, etc. All of these as separate, interchangeable
modules with well-documented software interfaces to make sure it all
works together.

Some of those modules will indeed be open source, GPL, BSD, whatever.
But the "old-fashioned", closed, commercial software kind of modules
would also be allowed. And everything in between.

Again, I know something like this has been proposed before. While it's
easy to come up with this great concept, defining the modules and
interfaces between them is going to be a lot of work. This is a big
challenge. Any takers?

73, Sami OH2BFO