This is like a page out of choir book. This is exactly what we have proposed and while we have paused to catch our breath, it is what we all want (people who have been developers). No one likes the monolithic approach. It is completely ill-suited to this type of distributed development. It has completely prevented many others from participating. If the only way to get your piece in is to get it past Bob, Frank, or Eric, that is a bad thing. No one agrees more than we do. A modular, layered approach, with well specified API's. In the small architectural email interchanges we have made with those who have contributed to the existing code, this is a universally held opinion. Brickle has been insisting on this for months and that is how the new architecture will look.

This is simply required for the model we want to build to, which is driven by the desire to allow distributed computing. Nothing else will do for this.

But of course, your earlier statement chimed in with support for the Lux's bemoaning the GPL approach. My apologies for the misinterpretation.

Bob

Sami Aintila wrote:

There has been a lot of typing going on while I was asleep. Of course,
I should have known better, but it wasn't my intention to start (or
incite) this GPL discussion. Please let me repeat myself:

OK, I'm not a big fan of GPL, but that's not the point.

It really isn't. The "GPL problem" doesn't have to be a problem at
all. We just need a truly open, modular design instead of the
monolithic PowerSDR that we're now using:

SDR hardware control, audio I/O, DSP core, a wide selection of GUI
modules, advanced DSP functions, support for various digital modes,
remote operation, etc. All of these as separate, interchangeable
modules with well-documented software interfaces to make sure it all
works together.

Some of those modules will indeed be open source, GPL, BSD, whatever.
But the "old-fashioned", closed, commercial software kind of modules
would also be allowed. And everything in between.

Again, I know something like this has been proposed before. While it's
easy to come up with this great concept, defining the modules and
interfaces between them is going to be a lot of work. This is a big
challenge. Any takers?

73, Sami OH2BFO