Mark,

As it so happens, I just made the change to hardware serial port keying today.  Your DB9 pinout is correct [4=Comm, 6=Dit, 8=Dash].  Be sure however that you select COM1 as the "Paddle Src", which is found on the Keyer tab of the DSP tab under Setup.  Prior to my change today, I was using the parallel port for keying.  While certainly workable, I find the latency to be less of an issue (either real or imagined) when keying via the serial port.  It works like a champ ... at least for me at the ~20wpm level.  Much beyond 20wpm and I have my own latency problems. Hi.

73 Mitch - W2MDE