At 09:50 PM 9/9/2005, Tayloe Dan-P26412 wrote:
I was kind of excited about the "dithering" idea for a while when I
first heard of it several years ago.  The idea behind this is that
since one frequency setting produces a given set of spurs, introducing
"dither", that is hopping over several very close DDS settings such
as four will reduce the spurs.  Since the spurs happen only one quarter
the time (in this case, they will be down by 12 db.

Way cool!

However, it then occurred to me that now, even though the spurs are
down by 12 db, there are now four times as many of them.  And that
seems a bit counter productive to me.

Lower level spurs, but a lot more of them. Dithering is a tradeoff,
not a solution to the DDS spur problem.

What it does is turn some annoying high level spurs into a flat distribution. The dithering isn't exactly hopping over different frequencies. (well.. it technically, is but it's on a sample to sample basis, so the "modulation index" is effectively very large) You either add a random number to the phase increment (LSBs) or to the phase. In either case, the random number is "zero mean" so the frequency remains constant.

However, you don't get the "not exact multiples of the sine lookup table" spurs now (or, rather, the energy is spread out)

Another problem is glitch energy in the DAC (which tends to be at multiples of the clock frequency), especially because it mixes with the DDS output frequency, and the aliases of the (apparent) mixing products are in band.

Done right, dithering essentially squashes all the spurs down at the expense of raising the noise floor a bit. Since the spurs are narrow band, the energy in the spur isn't all that huge. For instance, say you've got a spur that's -50 dBc. Undithered, the bandwidth of that spur is probably a Hz at most, so spread it out over 100 times the bandwidth, and you're down to -70dBc, which is getting close to the quantization noise of a 12 bit D/A.

There's also dithering to reduce the effect of converter nonlinearities, but that's another is

The challenge is in coming up with a dither that spreads the spurs enough, while not ruining the close in phase noise of the desired signal (since, when all is said and done, the dither essentially convolves some sort of frequency domain response with the impulse like spurs and the desired signal)

- Dan, N7VE