Greg,

Please see my comments below.

The vCom software will run likely as fast as you can set the other end
of the connection.  Try it out.

> Also have a couple observations and questions that have probably
already
> been addressed, but I could not find them.
>

> 1.  I found the cw tab in the setup screen.  Must be blind cuz I did
not
> see
> it before.  Is there a way, or possible to include in the future, to
be
> able
> to reduce the sidetone volume during transmit but not having it change
> during rx?

This is something that really needs to be addressed.  It is on our list
of things to do, it just has not been done yet.

> 2.  Still a bit uncomfortable with the CW with the key connected to
the
> back
> of the SDR1K.  I understand it works much better when connected to a
> native
> serial port on the computer.  Does the iambic paddle just connect to 3
> pins
> of the com port, and if so, which ones?  Or will this only work with
an
> outboard keyer like a microham cw keyer or the idiom press Logikeyer
with
> their CW outputs connected to the comport?

Based on customer feedback, it seems like an external keyer connected to
a serial port gives the best results.  Having said that, others are
perfectly happy with using a direct input from an iambic keyer.  The
main issue is the speed.  If you want to go over 30WPM, I would
recommend using the serial port hookup (details are in the release notes
and/or the archive here on the reflector).  If you want to go over
45WPM, then I would use an external keyer plugged into the serial port.

> 3.  Is there a way to vary the RF gain?

You can use the Preamp settings to mix and match with 26dB of gain and
10dB of attenuation.

> 4.  I did the calibration routines using the Elecraft XG-1 and seemed
> have worked great at the time.  But then say on 20M with no connection
on
> the radio, the noise floor seems to be around -130 db on the display,
but
> in
> the window it bounces between -114 and -118 with an S2 noise level.
With
> an
> S2 noise level this seems about right for 6db per S unit, but with the
> antenna disconnected, shouldn't the S-meter be at zero after it was
> calibrated?

This is typically a calibration issue as you suspected.  Make sure that
the calibration is accurate (i.e. plug in the XG-1 and make sure the
display and the multimeter read accurately: -73.0dBm).

> 5.  I entered the values for the transmitter set up per the note that
came
> with the radio.  But the output is down by about 20W per my very
accurate
> Powermaster meter.  When I set the SDR to 100W it seems like I am only
> getting about 81W output into a 50 ohm dummy load.

If you entered the values sent with the rig (and you are using a Delta
44), you should be within a few watts of fully calibrated given a power
supply that can provide the current.  If you have a 100W dummy load,
you're probably better off running the power calibration found on the PA
Settings tab of the Setup Form.

Double check your cable setup.  With the Delta 44, there should be
nothing plugged in the SPKR plug on the SDR-1000 back panel.