> At 07:40 AM 10/6/2005, Dale Boresz wrote:
>>Hello Tim,
>>I'm confident that the hardware issues related to the Eham review are
the exception and not the rule. Remember, many early purchasers of the
SDR-1000 assembled their radios in sections, probably purchasing the
board stack first, with the remainder to follow. That leaves a lot of
opportunity to benfit from careful assembly technique, or to suffer from
poor assembly technique.

> I doubt anyone soldered their own boards, and some of the problems with
early units that have been reported have been either design decisions
(switching vs linear regulator; heat problems with the DDS chips),
failed
> components, or things like broken traces.

You still have to plug the boards together.  I bought mine fully
assembled, with enclosure, to avoid all that.  I did own a 3 board stack,
briefly, but quickly swapped for the full monty with W0VB who, himself,
upgraded the stack.

No problems going fully assembled and now that the boards aren't for sale
separately, hopefully we're near the end of hearing about it.

> Yep, the 1/8" stereo mini-phone jack connectors are crummy, but as I
understand it, that was a design decision to allow folks to get up and
running quickly with cables from radio shack or best buy.  Ya gotta pick
something when making that first board run, and then you're stuck with
it.

I was told this was also done to enable certain board manufacturing
techniques in terms of placement of the plugs directly on the board.

I have often advocated that, someday, we minimize/get rid of this
altogether with some sort of true USB interface to a small microprocessor,
possibly sending in the I and Q stream as integers or IEEE floats,
depending on what works best and then have either the D44 or an ordinary
D/A A/D hidden inside either the current box or some sort of "caboose" for
us old timers.  Well, I can dream, can't I?

But, it would get rid of _all_ the cable problems once and for all.  I
have the USB-to-parallel and it works fine on my underpowered laptop (1.4
GHz, Celeron) even without the latest recommended fix.

I personally think this would get rid of 90 per cent of the problems if
Gerald and that talented Flex team could somehow make it happen.

>>Right from the beginning, I had concerns about the fact that the total
radio 'system' was actually distributed between a computer and the
SDR-1000 hardware, and took the precaution of assuring that both the
computer and the power supply for the radio were connected to the same
isolated power source via an APC brand UPS system, model # "Back-UPS XS
1500".

> That's not a static inverter type UPS (at least as far as the cutsheet
shows), so it doesn't really provide an isolated power source. when not
running off batteries, it's really no different than plugging everything
into a standard surge protected plug strip.

This guy has a genius for finding problems I haven't.  Not discounting
them -- this isn't an appliance rig.  And, I haven't hooked up an external
KW yet, so maybe I'll have my own problems later.

But, I've used my desktop with D44 and Santa Cruz, without half the
problems.  Now lappy plus Extigy, and I got that working within hours
(after I learned where the driver was).

I'm struggling a little with the D44 and SSB, though I have the audio
solution for that which I just haven't put in.  Need to ensure the Extigy
is OK (as the Santa Cruz was) and I'm off to Belize with this.

And this here note is from a guy who made about every possible mistake,
including an inferior G5RV with RF feedback issues, an inadequate 12 v
supply, and being clueless about sound card setup until my friends bailed
me out.  Several times.

But, I got going and, eventually, I got into a groove where troubles
stopped happening.

Hope we can still make this guy happy.  Maybe he should be on Teamspeak
more?  I don't recognize the call right away.

Larry WO0Z