Hi Cecel,

The MS C# Express Beta uses the .NET 2.0 Beta framework.  There were
not too many problems changing the PowerSDR code to get it to compile
on .NET 2.0 last time I tried (around version 1.2.x).  After you
convert the PowerSDR source code project to .NET 2.0 people will not
be able to open in in VS 2003 (which is ok if you do not intend to
redistribute the code changes you make or if you do, the other people
are using C# Express).

The C# and VB Express versions and the VS 2005 Beta 2 does require a
lot of resources - both memory and CPU.   It runs ok on my development
machine (AMD Athlon 3200+) w/ 1 GB ram but I would not want to run it
on anything slower.  The new IDE is very nice as long as you have the
machine to run it.  I don't know if this will improve when they
finally release the production versions or not ( I doubt it).

I have been following the Mono project for a long while.  They have
finally got the System.Windows.Forms library up to the point where it
is usable in ver 1.1.9.1. [Hint: pass export MONO_THEME=nice as an
environmental variable before invoking Mono and the
System.Windows.Forms stuff will look cool].  I have been doing some
work with SharpDevelop targeting the Mono framework.  Since
SharpDevelop will not run on Linux I develop the System.Windows.Forms
GUI part of the application in SharpDevelop in Windows.  The code then
can be developed in either SharpDevelop on Windows or MonoDevelop on
Linux (or in vim or emacs ;-)) MonoDevelop does not have a GUI
designer like SharpDevelop has (for System.Windows.Forms).

Another option is to use the Glade interface designer (which runs on
Linux or Windows) to do your GUI design with Gtk+.  You will then have
cross platform development of the GUI.  You have to have Gtk+ and
libglade installed in both Linux and Windows to develop your app on
both.  I have done this and it works very well too.

73 de Phil N8VB