George,

The Delta 44 is expecting a line level input.  We get around this by
providing digital amplification within our program, but this will not
work for other applications which do not provide such gain.  The input
level you saw on the Delta 44 control panel is normal.

Consumer sound cards typically include a Mic preamp (and sometimes an
additional 20dB boost).  You can buy an external one for the Delta 44
and it _will_ improve the signal/noise ratio when transmitting on the
PowerSDR software.  It is not necessary, however, thanks to the power of
digital amplification (aka multiplication).

Eric Wachsmann
FlexRadio Systems