George,

Professional audio sound cards rarely have a microphone preamplifier because
they are designed to talk to mixing panels that do that.  What Eric is
saying though is that you do NOT need a preamplifier because we can amplify
in the software.  Just turn up the front panel Mic control until you get
sufficient output.  This simply turns up the digital gain (i.e.
multiplication).

73,
Gerald
K5SDR