> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> I laid out the 60 verticals assuming a
>> velocity factor of 50 per cent as per ON4UN's book.  Did I misread that?
>> Should it have been longer wire or something?
>
> If the tuning is really that sharp (25kHz) then you're probably getting
> about as much as you can get out of the radials. Likewise for the
> takeoff angle.
>
> Seems like what's really hampering you is (still) negative gain.
>
> 73
> Frank
> AB2KT

So, how did that happen and what should I be doing?

If I understand the antenna's manual (and the recommendations I had here
and elsewhere about this), I should be seeing about a 5 dbd gain.

Apparently, I'm seeing a loss, at least compared to decent antennas (of
which the G5RV probably isn't at 80M,especially being cut for 20M as G5RVs
go, sitting at 33 feet).  So, outperforming the G5RV was expected almost
whatever I did.

But, where does the negative gain come from and what am I doing wrong?

Could it be the coax?  It is supposed to be reasonably good stuff (RG 8 /
RG 213 class or better) and it is 80 m, so I don't think I'm losing too
much.  When I hooked up the dummy load next to the antenna, it seemed to
work fine in terms of SWR, but I didn't have the analyzer then, either.

Or, is there some other obvious source?  Maybe I'm inferring too much from
one night's work, too.  It certainly is _hearing_ better than the G5RV and
by quite a bit, so there must be something right about it.

Larry WO0Z

PS, should I broaden it or not with the "hat"?  Would it help? Hurt?  I'll
go with the narrower bandwidth if it helps me get the job done.