Hello Tom,

I key my SDR-1000 with an external Logikey Model K-3 electronic keyer, using the keyer's built-in sidetone. It keys the SDR-1000 beautifully, and since I'm using the sidetone of the external keyer, there is no latency to deal with. I never key the radio with an external program so I can't address that, but here are my settings for keying via an external keyer plugged into the SDR's key jack on the rear panel:

DSP > Keyer > Connections:
Primary: SDR
Secondary: None

"New Keyer": checked

"Options":
Iambic: not checked
Disable Monitor: checked (because I want to use my external keyer's sidetone)
Rev. Paddle: not checked
High Res: checked

Semi Break In Enabled: checked
Delay (ms): 200

"Disable PTT" is NOT checked.

I've keyed the radio up to 50 wpm with this method, and the SDR accurately follows the external keyer. I have a fairly fast computer here, but with a slower computer the recommendation is to key the radio via the serial port, rather than the parallel port (key jack on SDR rear panel).

Also notable is that the 'textbook' perfect waveshaping of the keying envelope of the SDR-1000 produces great sounding cw with no key clicks!

73, Dale
WA8SRA

Tom Ski wrote:

I have finally completed all of my Fall chores and am back to the radio. I have successfully installed and operationalized the 100W amp and 1.4.5 P4 but have a question re. CW operation.

In the “New Features” noted for 1.4.5 P2 , it was noted “ The Primary control is expected to be used to plug in a set of paddles or a hardware keyer. Secondary is to be used for all external keying sources such as a third party program.” Does this mean that the SDR box is the “Primary” and the LPT post is “Secondary”? and does that correspond to the “DSP” – “Keyer” – “Connections” drop-down menu choices?

In addition, I am not sure how the PTT Control under the CAT control Tab interacts with the “Disable PTT” checkbox under the “Options – “General” tab and the “Semi Break in” Checkbox under the Semi-break in – Keyer – DSP Tab interact with one another and CW functioning. (PHEWW!)

Using the “old” keyer control and open CW window, I can key the SDR via paddles connected to the SDR box in the original manner. However, switching to the “new “ keyer control, I have been unable to make the radio transmit. I have not installed the virtual serial port or any third party software at this point.

Suggestions and help appreciated.

73’s

AA8YI