Followup data:

The connection between the MP3+ line out and the mic in on the laptop is not a part of the motorboating.  When the motorboating occurs it is present when listening via headphones connected to the MP3+ headphone jack and the connection to the laptop's mic in removed.  It does still appear to be signal strength related.

The motorboating sounds like a rough note rather than a pure tone on a CW signal.

Mike

Michael Blake <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I am using SR-40 hardware and the Creative Labs MP3+ USB soundsystem connected to my AMD Athalon64, 2800 laptop computer.

Performance has been excellent on Previews 1 - 4 but the WDM-KS audio selection on Preview 5 caused motorboating on any signals above about an S7 in level.

If I revert to either the MME or ASIO4ALL driver the motorboating issue dissappears.  CPU utilization is about 30%.

The physical configuration includes a physical connection between the right channel line out, of the MP3+, to the mic in on the laptop.  This allows me to use the internal audio support to listen, via internal speakers, and to use MixW for digital decoding.

The issues occurs with or without MixW running and is independant of the level settings on the internal SoundMax audio device.

Not sure what other information to provide.

73 - Mike - K9JRI