Wallace Watson wrote:

All,
I used Dale, N0XAS's, Univeral Keying Adapter for my Amp keying scheme. This little board uses an optically isolated,MOSFET solid-state relay part # G2-1A03 as the interface to the amplifier with the following specs; 1) Keys solid state, grid block or cathode keyed amplifiers or transmitters up to 400V AC or DC
2) Optical isolation between rig and key input
3) Self contained and low voltage power requirement
4) Compact size ideal for integration into other equipment

For our proposed use, the only other component required, besides the optically isolated MOSFET chip, is a current limiting resistor in the range of 270 - 500 ohms for use with the 5V DC power source available from the SDR radio's X-2 connector pin 14. The optically isolated MOSFET chips input is driven directly from X-2 pin 7.

If we wished, we could include on the Poor Man's Universal controller board (PMUCB) a group of these same optically isolated MOSFET chips for protecting X-2 control lines, pins 1-6. If the isolators are not required we could have pads or headers to bypass the optically isolated MOSFET chips and terminate at a 6 or 10 pin Berg connector as suggested by Eric2.

It would be my desire to utilize 1/8" phone jacks mounted on the PMUCB for a foot switch or hand switch for keying the SDR via X-2 pin10 PTT input.

I would like to thank Eric2 for making this proposal on the email reflector. We had discussed this subject prior to the Belize DXpedition trip on Teamspeak, and unfortunately he suffered an SDR radio component failure as a result of trying to connect a relay in an amplifier directly into the radio on x2-7 without any buffering.

I believe now is the time for this supplemental SDR radio interface kit. We are all pleased with the Delta-44 breakout box replacement that Tony designed and had circuit boards manufactured for. And for which Eric2 purchased all of the components and dry assembled the entire kit to make available to all of us SDR-1000 radio owners. I don't know if it was ever verbalized by the SDR Radio owners community but I wish to thank Eric2 and Tony for a job extremely well done!

Thanks, Wally - M0ZAZ.