From: Larry Loen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, November 20, 2005 9:36 PM
To: Wallace Watson
Cc: ecellison; FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] RFC - Poor Man's Universal Controller Board

Wallace Watson wrote:

> Folks,
> Attached is my first hack at the Poor Mans's UCB board design.  Excuse
> my novice approach, but I have not drawn schematics or done board
> layout work for more years than I care to remember.
> Also the incorrect symbol usage for the Opto-Isolator MOSFETS, but
> with the ExpressPCB package I could only find a 4N25 opto-isoloator.
> If anyone has additional custom component for use with the
> ExpressSCH/ExpressPCB package I will substitute the correct symbol in
> an update to the schematic.
>
> Please advise any and all suggestions for changes?

Well, I'm not very good at this sort of thing, but at least at first
glance, by a novice kind of soldering kit guy, it looks pretty good.

In fact, I was kinda vaguely thinking along these lines.  Much more
vaguely to be sure, but thinking.

I have my amplifier up and running (thanks to Terry, W0VB and Bob
Zellar, whose call I have momentarily forgotten at this late hour) , but
it really isn't what I'm going to want long term.  Today, I'm switching
the amp on by hand and then transmitting.  This board would be an
excellent replacement for that, providing the MOSFETS can take enough
current to ground a typical amplifier switching circuit.

What I had in mind was probably to do a 12 v relay that, in turn,
triggers the coax antenna switch that's external to my amplifier.  I
don't know what the current output is, but the immediate and (no doubt
related) question is -- whether the MOSFETS can deal with 12v to "pick"
a relay that, int turn, triggers a coax switch with a 110 v switch.

The board looks good. . .though I do wonder about continued reliance on
1/8 inch plugs for everything (I'm thinking specifically of "J3 1/8 inch
out").  Why not some sort of Molex plug here or just leave it to the
user to attach whatever is suitable?  I'm more agnostic on X-2 PTT
switch in, but these do seem to be circuits potentially related to high
power devices, even if they don't carry power themselves.  Do we want to
take on whatever troubles (e.g. intermittents) these 1/8 inchers give?
 I'm not necessarily excited about having the connectors right on the
board as long as there is a proper "landing area" to attach wires to
whatever is needful to something that can mount in the case or something.

Larry  WO0Z