richard allen wrote:
In our military system tests we acquire 10-20 impulses and sum them in the frequency domain. If the ripple is actually in the system then it will stay in. This was what the generals all wanted. In our seismic stuff, where the geophysicists seem to think it is needed to find oil, we require the < 1 dB flatness in the frequency domain plateau of a single impulse.
In the VLBI world, we continuously inject weak pulses at a 1 MHz rate (1 usec between pulses) which have rise times in the 10s of psec range. These pulses, injected into the radio astronomy receiver front ends, manifest themselves as a frequency rail every 1 MHz. To achieve a very wide (upwards of 1 GHz) flat passband, these "phase cal" signals are processed to determine the phase offset needed to bring them all into line. The pulse generator that Gerald built into the the SDR-1000 is my design, derived from the same concept.

In the VLBI world, we adjust the pulse amplitude so that it only increases the wideband system temperature by only 1-2%, but the pulses are seen with good SNR as frequency rails in FFT analyzers running a few Hz bandwidth.

73, Tom