-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Alberto I2PHD
Sent: Saturday, November 26, 2005 10:58 AM
To: FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] ebay 10MHz-OCXO-

Ray J wrote:
> with all the talk of frequency stuff lately.... found this on ebay while
> looking around..
> don't know if its useful to any of the experimenters out there....
>
> Isotemp model OCXO134-10 10.000000MHz OCXO       $75

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Isotemp-10MHz-OCXO-1PPB-EFC-For-GPS-Discipline-12V_W
0QQitemZ5833990844QQ

Hmmm, I bought one of those OCXO three years ago. I paid 25 USD (one third
of that price)
and used it to build a GPSDO. It works, but you cannot do better than a few
parts (2 or 3)
over 10^11, which can be a superb result, depending on your goals...
The problem with that OCXO is that its oven regulation has a periodic
temperature change
of about 0.2 degrees Celsius peak-to-peak, with a period of about 6 or 7
minutes.
That period is too fast for the PI controller implemented in the Atmel AVR,
which, after
the initial transient period, has time constants in the order of more than
one hour.
So the frequency change caused by that variation in temperature goes almost
uncorrected,
causing that 2 or 3 part over 10^11 of frequency "pendulum"

I have graphed it, you can see it here : http://sundry.i2phd.com/Lock3be.gif

Of course, it could be that only my specific Isotemp OCXO had this problem,
and other
units work well. Anyway, my next GPSDO will make use of a double oven
10811... I found
one brand new, still in its box...:

73  Alberto  I2PHD