The noise is always there.  It is just a matter of whether you can see
it or not.  Picture the panadapter as a moving 20kHz window over the
whole frequency spectrum.  When you tune VFO A, 2 things actually
happen.  First, the hardware is tuned (if necessary).  Then the software
does the fine tuning (within 3.051kHz).

So lets just say that there is some noise down at DC (which is almost
surely what you are seeing).  If Spur Reduction is turned off then the
hardware is tuned directly every Hz and no software fine tuning is
necessary.  In this case, the noise would be at -11.025kHz (because of
our IF offset).  This is 1.025kHz off the left end of the screen.

However, if Spur Reduction is turned on, at one point the noise will be
centered at -11.025k -(3.051k / 2).  At another point it will be
-11.025k +(3.051k/2).  At this point, the noise is at -9.4995kHz.  This
is clearly visible within the panadapter window.

So why do we have Spur Reduction?  It is used to avoid the worst DDS
spurs with a procedure documented in the application notes of our DDS
(AD9854).  Basically, it reduces the allowable frequencies that the
hardware can be tuned.  This does not eliminate all spurs, but rather
avoids the worst predictable ones due to the DDS itself.

One handy way to use the Spur Reduction feature is that if you have an
offending spur, you can sometimes move it out of the passband by cycling
the Spur Reduction on or off.

Eric Wachsmann
FlexRadio Systems

Hz at
> > about -145 dBm.  That looks good to me
> > Now I change frequency to 14.178 MHz and I see the signal rise to
-130
> > dBm between -10K and -9.5K Hz.  It is flat at -145dBm across the
rest of
> > the spectrum.  Looks like more noise on the low end.  Not so good.
> > If I change the frequency the to 14.177 MHz I see the signal rise to
> > -113 dBm between -10K and -9.5K Hz. It is flat at -145dBm across the
> > rest of the spectrum This shows a *lot* more noise.
> > Here come the strange part.
> > I change the frequency to 14.176 MHz and the signal looks just like
the
> > signal on 14.179.  Flat across the entire spectrum at -145 dBm.
> > By changing  the frequency down one kHz to 14.175, I see the signal
that
> > looks like 14.178 MHz.  A small rise to -130 dBm at the low end
again.
> > If I decrement the frequency down an additional kHz to 14.174, I see
the
> > signal that looks like 14.177 MHz.  A large rise to -113 dBm at the
low
> > end again.
> > This pattern repeats itself through out the entire 20 meter band.
The
> > rise in the noise floor is a little less in magnitude at the very
bottom
> > of 20 meters (14.050), but by the time I get to 14.150 the rise in
the
> > noise floor is back to approximately -110 dBm.
> > I checked other bands and it exhibits this behavior on ALL bands.
> > Always a three kHz stepping to repeat the pattern.
> > Anyone have a clue what might cause this behavior?  I'm using the
Delta