Hi Larry,

Due to the failure of the parallel port data communication you may get a wrong relay or semiconductor switch - and correspondingly some wrong filter - to pass your signal. That would explain the attenuation. My recommendation is the USB to parallel adapter.

Happy new year and 73,
Ahti OH2RZ

To: "FlexRadio - Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <FlexRadio@flex-radio.biz>
Sent: Tuesday, December 27, 2005 8:54 AM
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Coal in my stocking

Eric,

I have the K6GGO box with 4 board stack and 100 watt PA driven by the D44 card using Eric2 interface card. When the PA calibrates properly the audio line out is less than a volt P/P if I remember. It only goes to 2 V P/P when the RFE gain has fallen off. As I said I need to make a better test setup and take some written data. Getting to have too many variables to remember it all.

What I don't understand yet is why it will sometimes get to 30 meters before it fails and other times it dies on 160. I need to do a better job of grounding things now as I have a lot of cables strung around between the computer, the SDR1000 on the bench and the scope in the test rack.

--------Time Passes---------

OK, now have a 1 inch copper braid strap between the players in this game. When the rig is working properly in Calibrate I get 1.4V P/P audio into the box, 0.6 V P/P RF at the input to the RFE board and 5.5 V P/P out the BPF board into the PA. This gives 40 to 60 watts out say on 80 meters. I calculate the gain of the RFE as 19 db. When it doesn't work I get a gain of 9 DB. It is intermittent but usually fails at 30 meters. Sometimes at 160 meters. The drive from the TRX board seems consistant with the audio input.

I need to figure out how to get PortMon working to look at the parallel port to see if the relays are always getting the proper signals for each band. I would think a non working relay would give no signal through the string.

I can also pull the RFE board and bench test it to see what is wrong. What are the signal levels at the input and output of the RFE board for a 60 watt nominal output?

Any other software tests I can do?

And WHY ARE YOU MESSING AROUND WITH THE SDR BUNCH WHILE YOU ARE ON HOLIDAY? Dealing with this crowd is like herding cats.

73, Larry  K2LT