Paul is almost right. Close enough for us anyway. You have to OFFER the source to anyone who requests the source, and the cat is out of the bag. Anyone who downloaded the binary in the past, irrespective of the condition of the source, is legally owed the source on request. This encumbrance came into play the first time someone clicked on the link and downloaded it. For example, you do not owe me the source code as the binary was not distributed to me. On the other hand, since you did not have a way to log who downloaded, there is almost no clean way for you to deny it to anyone who is willing to be dishonest and say they received the binary. GPL is about distribution and nothing else on the paper. It says what rights you have as a recipient of the code and what legal encumbrances are placed upon you as a recipient. It is the social consequences of this distribution regulation given its interaction with human nature that is so interesting and enjoyable to me personally. The copyright in the code says that you may not sell it without a separate arrangement with the copyright holders. The copyright holders have the right to grant you a different license and on and on.

Let me say that Flex has been very good about the GPL. When installing the binary, you have to accept it just as you have to accept the EULA when you install a piece of software from Microsoft. Let me suggest that you all make a New Year's resolution and make it retroactive. READ THESE THINGS. You might be surprised to find out that the latest piece of shiny new software that you thought bought and thought you now own from Microsoft, will reveal a real shock. You don't own it. You are renting it and if you don't like it or it does some damage, it is your fault since you should have known better than to rent it and they will take it back immediately with no refund should you persist in being unhappy and blah blah blah.

It is a joy to read the GPL. It is a work of sheer genius and every time I see some lawyer get the knickers twisted over it because they just can't "grok" what a revolution it is, I get as excited as the first time I proved a new theorem in math.

Bob

Jeff Anderson wrote:
Thanks for the reply, Paul.

You're absolutely right re: sliders.

And regarding distributing source with the executable:  I wasn't aware that
the source needs to be distributed with the binaries, but I've just verified
that you're correct.  Unfortunately, at the moment I don't consider my mods
to be in an acceptable enough form for distribution (it's a bit of a mess
due to my using the code as a playpen for learning c#, c++, etc.), so,
rather than violate the license, I've decided to pull all files related to
my modified Console from my website until I can get the source cleaned up.

- Jeff, WA6AHL