Brian Sherrod wrote:

I know I read somewhere that someone did some rather extensive testing on the audio input for the SDR-1000, and found that a low noise mic pre ahead of the box was better than cranking up the gain on the console. This makes sense to me as I've found the same in the past using analog type devices. I used to use a Symetrix 528 voice processor, however it appears to be dead now. The article I read (somewhere) mentioned a Behringer Eurorack UB802 Mixer. The price was right, so I ordered one the other day.

My question is this; should I use the input on the SDR-1000 box or the D-44 from the UB802 mixer? I plan to use a balanced line, low-z mic.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I don't have my sdr-1000 yet, but I'm just trying (hoping) to get some things established ahead of time.

TIA & 73

Brian
w5ami

I have the Behringer mixer as well and have been so deep into digital that I haven't bothered to deploy it. Is there a simple "paint by the numbers "guide for D44 and non D44 use?

I know that AA4SW and others have deployed this and we used it in Belize with great success.

What I really would like to see is a simple "how to" on how to:

1. Plug in some old monural microphone and get the right output (presumably stereo or pseudo stereo) into a proper output plug.

2.  Hook up an inexpensive PC microphone and get the same.

I don't care how crushingly simple this is, we have very nice guidelines/guidebooks for the basic D44 hookup, why not this? For a lot of us, this is the "other shoe", kind of like that material we've "sort of" accumulated on hooking up HF amplifiers.

What is also someday needed is for a "good enough" version of this for DXpeditioning and other portable/mobile uses. I'm thinking of some "altoid box" thing where you input the regular PC microphone jack on one side (optionally ?? else ganged together with it?) and output a simple amplified, SDR ready signal on the other. This item should be nearly off the shelf somewhere as either a product or a well-established kit. Anyone with ideas on that?

Larry  WO0Z