At 03:22 PM 5/21/2006, Mike Naruta wrote:
>And if you gotta have QSK, when the new software
>comes out, just buy another SDR-1000 receiver
>and you can run full duplex.    :)

That is a fairly straightforward approach to the "full duplex" need.  And,
it pushes the cost onto just those who want the capability (you could
clearly use a 1Watt version for the "receiver" side, too).

However, it should be pointed out that there is no inherent reason why the
existing SDR1000 hardware and a PC cannot do microsecond scale QSK
(depending on how fast the relays are, more than anything).  It's mostly a
matter of spending the (huge) amount of work involved in making a full
duplex windows audio application that interacts with the hardware.
Considering the amount of work involved in doing the latter, and the
limited software development resources available, it's probably not a good
investment of those resources.  Personally, I'd rather see a push to a
better separation between DSP and user interface in the Windows environment
(as in running as separate tasks/processes), which would be of more general
applicability than high performance QSK. For example, having a control and
audio interface that was sufficiently decoupled from the PowerSDR UI would
allow third party digital modes software to work without things like VAC,
the use of dual sound cards, or serial port emulators. That was one of the
high priority things discussed a year or so ago, but which has languished
as other issues have been attacked.

Jim