At 08:15 PM 5/21/2006, Ken N9VV wrote:
>I have listened to that part of the recording again today (now on
>teamspeak) and he clearly said that "the current problem and
>limitation is the SOUNDCARD and not the SDR-1000 hardware".

This is incorrect.  Many, many high performance gaming applications run on
the Windows platform and achieve sub=millisecond timing. There are also
realtime conferencing type applications that run in the Windows environment
with full duplex audio processing.  For that matter, successfully playing
high rate streaming video/audio requires careful alignment of the streams.

It's more a matter of the huge software development effort required to do
this within the Windows framework.  Devoting a work-year of effort
($100K-250K) to learning to effectively work in the Windows environment may
be a reasonable matter to a game developer expecting million unit sales or
to a high end video conferencing application developer.  However, that
scale of labor is not generally available to the folks at Flex.

I would imagine that, by and large, the PowerSDR development folk are not
Windows multimedia extension devotees, nor do they wish to devote their
lives to such an activity.  In fact, PowerSDR depends on portaudio to
encapsulate and hide most of the mm ickyness, and it would appear that the
portaudio developers aren't interested in this either.

Or, if some ham who also happens to be a game developer gets interested, we
could be in luck.

>  So I
>guess that means that the HPSDR Janus board is a LIFE SAVER and may
>mean some super CW performance from the current SDR-1000 hw?
>bk de ken

or, just buy a second SDR as a receiver.

Jim