Peter,

I am seeing all kinds of nasty crud around DC, and so are many other
SDR-1000 users. On some systems - maybe with some sound cards - maybe
with better grounding - the problem is not very prominent. But for
optimal (receiver) performance it's always safer to operate at some
frequency offset instead of DC. (I haven't checked the source code
lately so I'm not sure, but I think the current PowerSDR software
actually uses "0 Hz IF" for TX.)

In general, I don't see why using zero IF would be significantly
easier. The required calibration for image rejection can be a one-time
operation if implemented properly. And you really do need to
compensate for I/Q imbalance with zero IF, too.

73, Sami OH2BFO