Gary and others,

The speed of the laptop CPUs are also regulated by the temperature of the
processors.  And yes some manufacturers (watch for slanted E) do not cool
their processors enough and they actually have to slow down to keep from
catching on fire..   Good quality laptops, you will get the speed you
should.   The best way to verify the speed of the processor is to go to
Intel's site, they have a utility that will give you the actual speed,  not
what the OS is suppose to report to you.

73,
Dudley
WA5QPZ