My HP/Compaq TC1100 Tablet PC has both a throttling CPU and a variable
speed fan.  On battery, it runs at full speed (unless it's getting warm)
but the backlight dims.  Runs at 1GHz normally, but on CPU bound tasks
(e.g. running NEC4) it slows down to around 300 MHz. It uses a Pentium M of
some sort

Not that I would contemplate running PowerSDR on it, but at least its a
datapoint for how power, CPU speed management works on at least one computer.

Has anyone done any testing to see what fraction of the CPU is consumed by
UI and what by dttsp?

Jim