Brian,

I guess it's ok to use two sound cards but it's more common among
SDR1k users to use VAC, in which case you will not hear anything from
MixW.  There are two papers on the web site you need.  "Using the
SDR-1000 with Third Party Programs," and "How to Set up VAC with
PowerSDR" by Bob McGwier.  In particular, set up exactly as described
in Bob's paper.  VAC v 3.12 is the one to use: it is not free.

For PSK31 which is a good mode to get started, tune 14070 or 7070
mode DIGU and use the panadapter display.  Set the filter on VAR1 and
set lower end at 70 HZ and upper end at 2500 Hz.  Set power at 100
watts and no audio processing. Signals will be seen as peaks, and if
you look carefully, each peak is two headed.  Set MixW in the
waterfall mode and set the display at X1.  Mix is now displaying 70
to 2500 Hz.  Each signal looks like a railroad track.  Click on the
signal and you will start receiving.  This method uses fixed tuning
so you don't have to worry about it.  I use this method 99% of the
time.  The 2500 band pass covers the entire band for PSK31.  Set the
TX filter at 400 to 2600 Hz and limit transmitting over the 500 to
2500 Hz band.  Set the gain for the MixW display/transmitter using
Setup/Audio/VAC/gain RX/TX. Set each so you have a colored water fall
and the transmitter power is 25 TO 30 watts.  You don't want to
overheat your PA.  On my setup, TX gain is set at -4 and RX at -11.
Make up some macros for operating.  (If you want, I can send you a
set of macros for normal operating)  When you get that going, we can
talk some fine points, like how to take advantage of some features of
Jeff Anderson's release.  You may have to check Enable VAC on the VAC
page to get a signal to MixW, as at least one of the releases of v
1.6.2 needed that.

73 Chas W1CG