> At 7:00 AM I jumped out of bed to the crack of a nearby
> lightening strike.  Yep, you guessed it, the SDR1000 was once
> again knock out.  Although, it was nice to have it back for a
> while.

I have learned by experience to never leave on any of my solid state
gear when I'm away from them for an extended period of time.  My
hollow state equipment is much more resistant, but I still turn them
off overnight, even if I hear there will be no storms pass through the
area.

I live on a high ridge and lightning seems to be attracted by my QTH.
I've had a hot water tank, dishwasher, a TV, satellite rcvr, and solid
state audio gear die from this, just by being left ON.

The SS stuff that was turned off did not get affected.

My SDR1K is stable enough for anything I'll ever do to just turn on
when I'm ready to operate, and in 10 minutes or so, it's like a rock
for my purposes.

I agree 100% !  Turn off your SDR1k or any other SS device when you
are not around.

Brian .. w5ami