-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ken N9VV
Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 8:54 AM
To: FlexRadio Reflector
Subject: Re: [Flexradio] Signal to Noise

I like to use my Elecraft XG-1 calibrated signal source. It is so
inexpensive and easy to use. Because it is battery powered, it is
ready to use at any time with no setup needed:

  http://www.elecraft.com/mini_module_kits/mini_modules.htm#xg2

"The 1-microvolt level can be used to determine a receiver's MDS
(minimum discernible signal), as well as its overall receive gain.
50 microvolts is widely used as the standard "S9" reference, so this
level can be used for S-meter calibration. Step-by-step procedures
are included for receiver performance measurement and S-meter
alignment. In addition to receiver testing, the XG2 can be used as a
reference to calibrate other lab instruments."

de ken n9vv