To be fair to the two radios you mentioned, that was on FM, and any
audio mode that needs a wide frequency response is notoriously difficult
to be subjective about...

Having been an AM CBer in the the UK, I quickly noticed that FM CB rigs
that became legal in the UK did not seem to do as well as the old AM CB
rigs from the USA had done.  I'm told that AM on 2M and 4M in the UK
used to 'get out' further than FM does.  But, again, that's a subjective
view from friends of mine who used AM on those bands before FM became
the normal 'local' mode.

Then I took the Amateur Radio exams and learned that different modes
behaved differently, and that some transmitters seemed to 'transmit'
better than others.

The trouble is that, even if you use the same mode, transmitters are
often set up differently to other transmitters.  You need to check on
the various settings for the microphone, audio bandwidth, compression
and other audio an transmission qualities.

Then you need to check that the receivers are set up in the same way...
In the UK the UHF and VHF repeaters have just gone narrowband, and
anyone with an older FM transmitter sounds distorted on audio
retransmitted through the repeater.  So, you need to check that the
SDR1000 and the TS850 were both set to the same receiver settings to
ensure a like-for-like test.

Having only just got my SDR1K back up and running, on a subjective test
I would say that my present set up is probably as good as my old TS850S
was, in terms of raw receiver performance, but it has far more in the
way of receive filters, displays and the potential for improvement if I
can afford a better sound card and as a microwave transverter driver
because the TS850S system was, in my opinion, open to a lot of problems
with putting RF into a transverter when you did not want to do that if
the voltage into the tranverter port was lost...  Yes, it happened to me
and I blew the input to a homebrew 4M transverter!

So, I'm still a fan of the SDR1K over my old TS850S, but only just.  The
constant upgrading to higher PC specifications and sound card
requirements, in my opinion, edges the SDR1K away from the ordinary
operator, who wants to get a really good radio, because of the
requirement to have an expensive PC/Soundcard and to dedicate that PC to
just the SDR1K.

Look at it this way, add up the cost of a PC of between 1.5 and 3GHz
performance, add in the cost of the M44 soundcard (which is the cheaper
of the two cards promoted) then add the cost of an SDR1000, the 100W amp
and the ATU.  Now look at the standard ICOM/YAESU/KENWOOD offerings and
ask yourself  "if I was not perfectionist, what would I do?"

Then look at what you have managed to do with your SDR1K, look at the
reviews and, in that, I'm counting some of the reviews by people who,
whilst I accept their undoubted technical ability, have missed many of
the practical problems and have not really reviewed the full
capabilities but,  in my opinion, produced a quick review based upon a
few hours of use...