On Tue, 2006-08-29 at 23:32 -0400, Frank Brickle wrote:
> Bob --
>
> If it's OK with you I'm taking the conversation public again, for the
> time being anyway.

No problem with that at all.

> > Could we for example agree that there is a distributed infrastructure
> > (regardless of language, protocol or encoding formats) in which services
> > are hosted and that services communicate with each other through this
> > infrastructure by asynchronous messaging. I would like to give it a
> > name, say RSA (Radio Services Architecture) and define it properly so we
> > have a frame of reference.
>
> We're a ways away from being able to give a name like Radio Services
> Architecture, yet, I think.

Ok. On reflection defer the name until we have something to name.

> For a number of reasons, I propose we begin with what I'll call the
> Radio Space. This seem like an appropriate term? It's metaphorically
> suggestive. It's also the right concept formally, too, I believe, since
> an SDR "application" will turn out in the end to be, precisely, a
> topology on the Radio Space.

Yes, I like that. Java coined the phrase Space in its Java Spaces which
is also a distributed architecture. Just to make it clear there is no
connection.

> The points in the Radio Space are the functional nodes we've been
> talking about -- the DSP, the hardware control, the audio subsystem,
> pieces of the UI, etc. We will probably find it useful to flip-flop back
> and forth as convenient between thinking of these components as points
> or as nodes, with the Space and the topology being either point sets or
> graphs.

I think it would be useful, certainly for me to have a glossary of terms
as we proceed. I think we have introduced so far:

space, topology, service, process, node, point, graph, point set,
composition, orchestration, protocol, encoding format, messaging.

What about moving agreed stuff into a document as we proceed so we have
more than just a long thread at the end. This should probably be on-line
somewhere, perhaps a Wiki would be an appropriate medium.

> So where we start is with a bunch of nodes but no edges connecting the
> nodes. There's no hierarchy or layering yet, merely a bunch of
> functional components that can be made to pass messages among one
> another.

Agreed, whether the composition is flat or hierarchical and exactly how
messaging is achieved is not material at this level.

> > Services are composeable, that is they can be orchestrated to produce a
> > working application.
>
> Yes. In these terms, a compositional grouping of components amounts to
> inducing a coarser topology on the Radio Space. In practical terms, it
> amounts to having a way to wrap them together so as to be able to deal
> with them as if they were a single functional unit.

Yes, it's just levels of abstraction so people who know certain areas
well can compose those services into an abstraction that the next layer
can work with more easily.

> All right so far?

Yes, excellent. I think its a good start. Of course this is not a small
subject and there are many places we could go next. Would it be sensible
to create a topics list first so we don't get bogged down on one issue.
I think working both ends towards the middle is also a good policy so
hot issues can have a proof-of-concept in parallel to the thought
process.

73
Bob
G3UKB